I’ve got Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes in my hot little hands, and the first request I’ve gotten is for abishais, a kind of devil-dragon hybrid. It would be lovely if they followed a nice, regular pattern of features, as dragons do, but unfortunately, they’ve inherited their fiendish progenitors’ all-over-the-place-ness.
There are certain things all abishais have in common, though:
- Impressive natural armor, with ACs ranging from 15 up to 22.
- Brisk flying speeds.
- Above-average abilities across the board, with peaks varying according to type.
- Resistance to physical damage from nonmagical, non-silvered weapons, along with cold damage (except for white abishai, which are fully immune to cold).
- Immunity to fire and poison damage, along with the types corresponding to their draconic progenitors’ breath weapons (this means that red and green abishai don’t get an extra type), and immunity to being poisoned.
- Long-range darkvision and telepathy.
- Devil’s Sight (the ability to see through magical darkness), Magic Resistance and Magical Weapons.
- At least two attacks per Multiattack action, along with additional elemental damage when they claw or bite.
So here are a few things we can already infer about abishais in general: fearlessness toward most other beings; tactics built around aerial attacks (since opportunity attacks pose little threat to them); and a strong preference for operating underground, at night or in artificial darkness. (more…)